Paul L. Snyder on 20 Feb 2006 20:34:56 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Exton LUG?

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, W. Chris Shank wrote:

> Is there an Exton LUG? Anyone interested in forming one?
>
> W. Chris Shank

I'd be interested.  I'd suggest that it would advantageous to set this
up as an extension of PLUG, rather than as a completely independent
group.  This would allow reuse of some of PLUG's logistical apparatus
(especially the brain trust available via the mailing list) and prevent
excessive wheel-reinvention.  If a meeting place that's reasonably
accessible from the R5 can be found, some of the Philly-based folks might
show up.

There is historical precedent; for a while, PLUG was holding two
meetings each month, one in the city and one in Conshohocken.

A few years back there were some sputtering attempts to get a Linux SIG
going as part of the Exton PC Council.  I attended one meeting, and had
no interest in going back.  The web site (http://linux.extonpccouncil.org)
has had the same same snarky, misspelled message fronting it for the past
three years.  Frankly, I think this wagon will travel farther if it is
hooked to PLUG.

On the other hand, checking the mailing list archives
(http://mailman.axs.org/pipermail/cclug/), it looks like there's some
chatter about reviving the group.  I think that trying to support more
than one LUG in the same area is folly, and any efforts should be
coordinated.

As a further datum, EPCC requires membership fees.  This is not
unreasonable, but I like PLUG's freewheeling style.

Less formally, I've thought about trying to get a Chester County Linux
Beer Night going ('Linuxbiernacht' has a good ring to it) where Philly
satellite geeks get together in a brew pub to talk tech.  Something like
that may be easier to maintain if there isn't enough energy to keep a
healthy LUG running.

Paul