George Gallen on 20 Feb 2006 21:47:32 -0000

RE: [PLUG] perl module to read/write Access2002 tables

Can you connect to an Access2002 database using ODBC if you don't have Access on that machine?
I have files that are created by a third party software that creates "Access2002 database tables". I only
have Access2000 which will not read these tables.

I don't care how slow it is, it will be in the middle of the night on an automated process.

Thanks
George
-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org [mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Kyle R. Burton
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2006 4:38 PM
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [PLUG] perl module to read/write Access2002 tables

If you are on win32, you can connect to access databases via ODBC (though it is slow).  If you're not on Windows, there is the mdbtools project:

  http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net/

Though they only allow for reading.  I've used mdbtools and can say that it works for the most part.  When it doesn't a compact&repair of the mdb file often allows it to read the file effectivly.  The issue here is that there is no indication of the fact that the data is not quite right.

I have wrapped it with a simple XS module before (not a DBD module, just a one off).  I did this for an employer so I can't share the work, but it is easy to do.

Another option is to set up a windows box as a server, write a simple service on it that allows you to create new ODBC data sources (by copying a blank MDB file and then publishing them) via a simple remote API.

HTH,

Kyle