Mike Ciul on 22 Feb 2006 23:28:23 -0000

Re: [PLUG] BIOS EDD -- new install hangs

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 11:15:09PM -0500, Mike Ciul wrote:
>   [26 lines, 194 words, 1172 characters]  Top characters: etnsiorl
>
> I'm having trouble installing Ubuntu. Even during the initial install,
> the system freezes after about 5 minutes of uptime. By repeated
> attempts, I got the thing to  install all the way, but it still
freezes
> after about  5 minutes. I can't find any log messages close to the
time
> of the freeze. I've tried a few kernel options (acpi=off, nolapic,
> noapic), I've stabbed randomly at BIOS options, but nothing seems to
> make any difference. Can anyone think of a reason why a system would
> freeze after 5 minutes of doing nothing in particular? It even does it
> in single-user  mode, so I don't think it's X-related.

----
Jeff Abrahamson replied:

Is it stable if you run memtest86?  That's about the simplest "OS" you
could try running.

----

Yes, memtest86 runs for hours and shows no errors. I can't turn on ECC,
though, and when I select "Advanced Options" it says "Chipset not
Supported"

ECC support is enabled in the BIOS, but maybe I just don't have it. I'm
not much of a hardware whiz and I can't open the computer up with the
kids around.

Anything else I could try?

- Mikee

--
We are acting like a nation that is fighting for its survival and not
like the leader of the global capitalist system that has a

    - George "The Crocodile" Soros, American billionaire