Mike Ciul on 23 Feb 2006 18:05:42 -0000

Re: [PLUG] BIOS EDD -- new install hangs

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Mike Ciul wrote:

> Thanks, Chris, that seems worth trying.
>
> Can anyone recommend a distro with a 2.4 kernel? In case there are
> several choices, here are my preferences:
>
> Fits on one CD, or free/cheap to order a CD.
> Good for audio recording (hope I can make it in July!)
> Easy install
> Low maintenance - I'm not a big tweaker.
I should add that I hate RPM. Maybe I just don't understand it, but
something more dependency-friendly like apt-get or BSD ports would be
nice. (although I've had plenty of headaches with BSD ports- does
everything really have to be compiled each time?)

> I sure would appreciate some suggestions.
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Mike
>

> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Christopher M. Jones wrote:
>
> > When I had this problem before (this was my subject line) it seemed in
> > the end to be the acpi, not the bios edd. The edd message was just the
> > last one I saw. The problem seemed to be with any kernel 2.6. The
> > Mandrake distro I used (10.1) used a 2.4 kernel, and that worked fine. I
> > never did resolve this issue, other than to use the 2.4 kernel. The
> > kernel switch noacpi and nolacpi never worked for me either.
> >
> > On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 23:35 -0500, gyoza@comcast.net wrote:
> > > Does it happen with a different OS?  Have you tried Knoppix or the
> > > Ubuntu live CD?  I had trouble like that that seemed to have been
> > > related to a drive controller in one case and some mysterious,
> > > unsolvable motherboard problem in the second case.

The next great advance in the evolution of civilization cannot take
place until war is abolished.

 - General Douglas MacArthur