Eric on 27 Mar 2006 16:02:59 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: plug Digest, Vol 16, Issue 31

Quoting Jeff Watson <redgibson@gmail.com>:

> I am having an issue with this part of my perl script.
>
> # eat output file, chop all lines but the load lines
> my $output = "c:\\TEST.out";
>
> if($ARGV[0]) {
>   print $ARGV[0] . "\n";
>   my $input = $ARGV[0];
>   print $input
> }
> else {
>   print "BAD INPUT: Missing parse target filename!";
>   exit(0);
> }
>
> # ASSUME $input = C:\test.chm' !!
> #open(MYFILE, 'c:\test.chm');                     # THIS WORKS!!!
> open(MYFILE, $input);                               # THIS FAILES!! :-/
>
> while(<MYFILE>) #Drops out on this line becuase the file is not able to be
> opened?
>

>             -Jeff Watson
>             -RedGibson@gmail.com

Jeff:

I always code the open statements as:

open MYFILE, "<$input" or die "Cannot open file $input" ;
so when it cannot open the file it will tell you.

I don't use perl in Windows a lot but I'd try double back-slash '\\'
in the file name because perl may be seeing the single backslash as
an escape for the next char when you pass it to the open function.

Eric