Greg Helledy on 11 Apr 2006 21:59:40 -0000

Re: [PLUG] best way to install gui on debian base system?

>Debian does install a GUI - Gnome by default, so I am puzzled.  You
>can try "apt-get install kde" or "apt-get install gnome".  X should be
>installed by default - try "dpkg-reconfigure xerver-xfree86" or
>"dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" depending on which Xserver is
>installed.  Good luck.
>
>-- Bhaskar

I did "apt-get install kde", which ran, but still no gui.
I edited inittab to default to runlevel 5 and rebooted.
I then did "dpkg-reconfigure xerver-xfree86" and it said no such package was installed, so I apt-got that. Then I configured it.

I entered "startx" and it tried to start, but died saying there was no font server. Helpfully, the message also mentioned that beginning users should install package "x-window-system". So I apt-got that, and went through some more config screens.

Rebooted again, and was greeted with a gui and xdm login screen. Logged in and it took me right to KDE.

Thanks for the tip, I hope this helps somebody.

Greg

-- Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and notify GRA, Inc. (postmaster@gra-inc.com) immediately. Please advise immediately if you or your employer do not consent to Internet e-mail for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed in this message are not given or endorsed by GRA, Inc. unless otherwise indicated by an authorized representative independent of this message.