Michael C. Toren on 22 Apr 2006 02:46:46 -0000

Re: [PLUG] firewire hard drive, reiserfs, FAT32 label, scripts

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 09:46:22PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> I'm reluctant to add a line to /etc/fstab, since firewire drives are
> removable and so in principle it could mount as sdd1 or something.
> Anyone know what the right way to deal with this is?
>
> The main issue is that I'm using it for backup, so I want rsync
> scripts to find the right volume.

One solution is to have the script use the findfs tool to identify the
correct device:

	findfs LABEL=backup-320

Or, you may be able to put something along the lines of the following
in your fstab:

	# untested
	LABEL=backup-320  /backup   auto   rw,noauto   0   0

HTH,
-mct