Art Alexion on 1 May 2006 13:17:19 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Recovering data from damaged CDs

On Friday 28 April 2006 16:50, Greg Lopp wrote:
> Art Alexion wrote:
> > On Friday 28 April 2006 14:52, Lee Marzke wrote:
> >
> > I tried cleaning like a pair of glasses.  There doesn't seem to be
> > anything wrong with the surface.  This seems to be happening to all of my
> > CD-RWs (CD-Rs OK).
>
> CDRWs have a very different reflectivity than CDs or CDRs.  It is not
> uncommon for CDRWs to be unusable in non-CDRW-compatible devices.
>
> Are you using the same device to read as you did to write?

Yes.

> I'd next point a finger at the quality of the media.  The cost of media
> has continued to fall while the cost of materials (plastics derived from
> petroleum) has risen.....

This seems to be happening with both the cheap and the better.

One culprit may be the drive I am burning on.  I think the controller is going
on it as it seems to open randomly.  Doesn't open yet during burning, but
always opens after burning, and before verification, so the discs were not
verified.  They worked once or twice, though.
--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for
alarm.
Info @

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c