TuskenTower on 1 May 2006 14:38:25 -0000

Central Office Emergency Power [WAS Re: [PLUG] Re: FIOS]

While reading articles about emergency recovery (after Hurican
Katrina), I came across some interesting information about the power
capacity of the local central offices that serve telephone lines. Central offices are equipped with battery backups and (maybe) backup
generators. During an emergency, without power these COs can last for
a some days (I'm hoping some is more than 7 days).

Maybe we should be asking for FIOS _and_ POTS (plain old telephone service).

I can't find those original articles, so I went looking through
http://www.pacode.com/
"    (viii)   A PSAP shall have stand-by emergency electrical power
generation equipment and sufficient fuel supply to sustain operation
for a minimum of 7 days. PSAPs Federally funded under civil
defense/emergency management shall maintain a 14-day fuel supply."

I read some other state government sites and saw varrying standards
for the power generation capacity as well as the capacity for batter
backups.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSAP
PSAP is an acronym/initialism for Public Safety Answering Point, an
agency in the United States, typically county controlled, responsible
for answering 9-1-1 calls for emergency assistance from police, fire,
and ambulance services.

Anyone have any more knowledge/information to share?

On 4/28/06, Austin Murphy <austin.murphy@gmail.com> wrote:
On 4/28/06, James Barrett <jbarrett.phila@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, if sound quality is important (I think I recall someone mentioning
> landline sound quality being better than wireless) I'm thinking fiber
> would have quite a dramatic improvement in quality (Verizon's site
> mentioned that customers might need to buy new phones. Perhaps they're
> fully digital? Could someone confirm that?)

You keep your normal phones.  They just digitize your signal at your
house instead of at the Central Office like they do now. I can't
imagine it would be much different unless you have ancient phone wires
to your house.

With fast internet service, IP phones are realistic, but thats a separate issue.

Austin