jazzman on 12 May 2006 02:22:38 -0000

[PLUG] Moving system between drives

I know I should know this, but it's been a while since I've done it. I've
got a RH9 box running on a system with a 10gig drive. I just got my hands
on a 40gig drive and I'd like to upgrade. I know you can use dd to make a
perfect clone of the system onto another drive, but I seem to recall you
can only do that if the two drives are the same geometry.

Is there an easy way to take the system as is, clone the system onto the
bigger drive (adjusting partition sizes to account for the new drive size
of course) and then just swap drives and merrily go on my way?

Thanks for the refresh
Marc