John Von Essen on 2 Jun 2006 19:53:52 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Backup MX Question

If you are blocking spam by using access feature in sendmail, then your
sort of screwed with the whole outbound reply queue issue. Sendmail will
send a bounce back, but the From: address is garbage, yada, yada...

I dont know of any easy way to get around this. One way would be to spoof
local delivery of those domains your blocking, so the bounce would get
delivered locally, where you could route it to /dev/null. Problem with
this is its at the domain level, and would require alot of configs.

Another solution is to write a perl script to search through
/var/spool/mqueue and have it delete files that reference those bogus
domains and senders.

My recommendation is to move to a more sophisticated milter setup, like
MIMEDefang. There you can do things like silent discards, etc.,.

-John