Stephen Gran on 15 Jun 2006 14:04:00 -0000

Re: [PLUG] exim4 conf (Debian)

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 06:29:05AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> I have the following line in /etc/aliases, convenient for certain list
> subscriptions. ;-)
>
>     devnull:  /dev/null
>
> Exim4, however, doesn't like this, complaining that file_transport
> router isn't set.  No problem.  I see in
> 400_exim4-config_system_aliases that I need to set
> SYSTEM_ALIASES_FILE_TRANSPORT, so in update-exim4.conf.conf I add this line
>
>     SYSTEM_ALIASES_FILE_TRANSPORT='address_file'
>
> and run update-exim4.conf.  (Note that much of this is Debian-ism.)
>
> But that doesn't have a noticeable effect.  Is this not the intended
> way to update these things?
>
> I have found lots of exim4 docs, but I haven't found any that outline
> exactly how to interact with the Debian configuration scheme.
>
> Thanks much for any tips.

Have you HUP'ed the running daemon?  Simple, I know, but the simple
things are the easiest to miss.  /etc/init.d/exim4 reload will both
rebuild your config file and HUP the daemon, so that might be simplest.
Unless... do you have an entry for exim in inetd.conf still?  It may
bail and do nothing if that's the case.  It certainly used to.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Nobody ever ruined their eyesight by    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | looking at the bright side of           |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | something.                              |