Greg Lopp on 20 Jun 2006 18:45:34 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Camera software

One might assume that it enumerates as a "composite device" - i.e. it presents itself as multiple devices to the host. On interface would be the standard mass storage device interface, the other would probably be HID(human interface device) for the button only.

No doubt there exists a Windows driver/app that sees this kind of card reader, polls for the button press and performs a copy operation as a result.

Agreed, that shouldn't be hard to get to and respond to.

Dan Crosta wrote:
I haven't played around with this at all, but my card reader (SanDisk SDDR-92) has a button on it that you might be able to get to, and use that to trigger similar file dumping... as I said, I have no idea how one might do that, I've never tried (ahh, the "joys" of Mac OS X)

dsc

On Jun 20, 2006, at 1:01 PM, <edward.pike@thomson.com> <edward.pike@thomson.com> wrote:

for more ease when I plug the cards I scan the usb devices with "lsscsi", parse that, automatically mount them, and slurp the files with some perl program..all activated by a serial button (parsled). can be done headless.

ep

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org on behalf of Dan Widyono
Sent: Tue 6/20/2006 12:59 PM
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List
Cc: Daniel Widyono
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Camera software

I'll second Dan's suggestion (USB card reader). No need to use up camera
batteries, I don't have to find that special cable to hook up my Canon
PowerShot A510 to the USB port, and sometimes gphoto2 locks up my camera if I
type the wrong commands in.

With the USB card reader, it's just another dumb USB external drive, and I
use rsync to pull the latest and greatest photos into my local storage area.
OK, maybe just latest.

Dan W.