Trent Milliron on 15 Jul 2006 21:08:38 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Freespire Beta Out

Lee Marzke wrote:
Trent Milliron wrote:
Lee Marzke wrote:
Why would anyone want to use this over Ubuntu?

Maybe because you can play mp3's and other windows file formats out
of the box without endless hours of frustration - or changing files to Ogg/Vorbis ?

Maybe because you can install new apps with 1 click ( using Click-N-Run ) ?

Maybe because PDF's open correctly with Acrobat ?

Maybe because Flash is pre-installed and works on web sites ?

I'm actually quite impressed with Ubuntu LTS, but the average non-technical
Windows user that is trying out Linux just sees too many failures related
to all the encumbered file formats, and missing non-free applications.

Lee

Alex Valentine wrote:
Why would anyone want to use this over Ubuntu?
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, whatever you want to call it, has
basically been snake oil from the start in 2001.
Remember when Lindows was suppose to run Linux apps and eventually all
Windows applications?
http://www.wired.com/news/linux/0,1411,47888,00.html

""Michael Robertson's solution is Lindows, a new Linux distribution that
will, eventually, run all Windows applications as they would run on
Windows 98, NT and XP.""

""Robertson said he expects full Windows compatibility in 18 to 24
months. And he expects it to be done without infringing Microsoft code
or copyrights.""