Tom Diehl on 23 Jul 2006 01:20:49 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Verizon FIOS..Any thoughts?

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006, Elizabeth Krumbach wrote:

On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 10:58:37AM -0400, Daniel.G.Roberts@sanofi-aventis.com wrote:
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated..

Just to throw in my 2c.

Our network is all Linux, using our own router and Debian firewall, runs great.

I have a customer that converted to fios a couple of months ago. They are using a linux firewall with a windows network. When it works, it works great.

We got the cheapest static IP business line installed at our house northwest of
Philly on Tuesday, as another poster said, they had no qualms about installing
a business line into our house.

They pay for 5 static ip addresses. In 2 months VZ has only changed them once. They cannot explain why they changed and they would not change them back either.

Only took VZ 2 days to fix.

The business line is more expensive than residential, compare prices:

http://biz.verizon.net/pands/fios/features.asp

http://www22.verizon.com/content/consumerfios/packages+and+prices/packages+and+prices.htm

But with business you get static IP(s), they don't offer static IPs with
residential accounts. And they don't block/filter ports, so running our
websites from home just like we did with DCA.net is no problem and within our
TOS. They let you set a PTR record too. Running mailservers would be physically
possible, but I have a feeling the big mail places will start blacklisting all
FiOS connections like they have Comcast ones.

This seems to be true except for the part about having true static ip addresses. If VZ can manage to keep the static ip addresses out of the same blocks as dynamic addresses it should be possible to successfully run mail servers.

A big problem with Comcast is that until recently their static addresses were
mixed in the same blocks with the dynamic residential addresses. Within the last
3 months this has changed. They are now assigning static address blocks to
their business customers. Hopefully they will not end up on the black lists.

The techs even had a clue, my fiance was throwing questions at them the whole
time and they could answer them all - either just by knowing the answer or
knowing where to look to find it. Very impressive compared to the Comcast techs
we've dealt with.

The VZ techs we had to deal with were clueless. They were fone techs with a laptop. The 2nd tech they sent insisted we only had 1 ip address, when they had been running with 5 up until the day they changed the addresses. Every technial question asked of him required a call to his supervisor who would then have to get back to him with the answer.

Having it less than a week, I can't really comment on the stability, but the
thunderstorms over this week were pretty intense and our connection remained up
the whole time.

With the exception of the ip address snafu the circuit has been very stable. It was installed in mid May.

Regards,

Tom