Eugene Smiley on 26 Jul 2006 19:17:04 -0000

[PLUG] Networking question

I'm wondering if this is possible, but I'm not a networking guy so I throw this out to the list. Is it possible to do something like this (simplified):

Broadband 1 -\              /--- Router 1 (Off the shelf)
              >-- Switch --<
Broadband 2 -/       |      \--- Router 2 (Off the shelf)

                     \-- Gateway/Rtr (Load balancing) Embedded device

Broadband 1 and Broadband 2 could be any combination of DSL, Cable, ClosedNetworks, whatever...

Where traffic goes from R1 to GW which picks Cable or DSL based on traffic levels and then back again. I know there are hardware options out there that do something like this, but I've not been happy with the results, and I'm looking for a 1 port or 2 port embedded linux device that I could attach to a 16 or 24 port switch to make it scalable and inexpensive.

Specific questions:
- How can GW negotiate itself as the MAC to talk to the cable router in the event of a power outage caused MAC reset? Is this possible?
- Am I barking up the wrong tree to begin with?