Doug Crompton on 27 Jul 2006 15:33:28 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: Verizon FIOS..Any thoughts?

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006, Kevin Brosius wrote:

> For fiber, I believe Verizon's is passive to the premises, so only CO
> power and your battery power determine how long it's up.  A friend just
> got it installed, and he said the Verizon tech told him 8 hours of talk
> time on the battery (plus some 15 minutes of internet so you have time
> to shutdown - first time I heard that.)  The tech also claimed that you
> use up 15 minutes of battery time for each phone call, I'm guessing for
> ringer usage on incoming calls.  So shorter calls sound like they use up
> the battery in quicker chunks.
>
> --
> Kevin Brosius

I think the bottom line is that FIOS cannot be considered reliable unless
you have some kind of long(er)term external power source. This is kind of
like don't open the refig in a power outage. Don't use the phone either as
it might fail if you use it to much.

After this last failure I am researching generators. Since I have natural
gas here that is a logical way to go. Kohler has a 12KW natural gas,
outside unit that I have seen avaiable on the net for about $3500. 12KW
will power most modest homes.

The cost of copper is going up dramatically. Do you think Verizon is going
to push FIOS harder so they can dismantle and sell their copper?

Doug