James Fiore on 1 Aug 2006 19:26:19 -0000

Re: [PLUG] FC5 and screen resolution

Rodney Oliver wrote:

...if you go into System->Administration->Display I can choose the 1280x1024 resolution. But this does not take affect on the LCD.

System->Administration->Display is nothing more than a pretty RedHat/Fedora graphical tool for configuring your X-Windows setup. More specifically, it will write/overwrite your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with one it generates for you. Any manual changes you make to the xorg.conf file will be destroyed by the System->Administration->Display tool (/usr/bin/system-config-display).

I have a similar problem, the modes in my xorg.conf file have 1280x1024 listed in the Screen section yet my “Screen Resolution” option under System->Preferences does not show that resolution in the list.

It is my understanding that System->Preferences->Screen Resolution is a VIRTUAL screen sizing tool and is limited by whatever maximum setting you have in your xorg.conf (System->Administration->Display). If you set your resolution to 1024x768 in System->Administration->Display then the System->Preferences->Screen Resolution will be limited to 1024x768 and below. If you set your resolution to 1280x1024 in System->Administration->Display then the System->Preferences->Screen Resolution will be limited to 1280x1024 and below.

It is virtual because X-windows is not really running at that resolution and does not require an X-windows restart to take affect. I don't know any details as to how it works but it seems to be some kind of software scaling with GNOME. How it differs from X-windows being software and how it interacts with the video card I haven't a clue.