Stephen Gran on 2 Aug 2006 13:54:53 -0000

Re: [PLUG] fuser hangs

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 08:23:27AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> The script that launches mozilla browser has in it the line
>
>     fuser /dev/dsp 2>&1 | sed -e 's#^/dev/dsp:##'
>
> I'm not sure why my web browser needs to know about sound, but I'm
> more curious why "fuser /dev/dsp" would not return when I execute it.
> Executing it as root makes no difference.

/etc/mozilla/mozillarc:MOZILLA_DSP is probably set to auto, and mozilla
is attempting to figure out if a sound daemon has /dev/dsp open.  Browsers
need sound like fish need pancakes, but some people want it, apparently.

To modify this behavior, either dpkg-reconfigure mozilla-browser, edit
the file yourself, or just copy it to ~/.mozillarc.  Your choices for
the DSP option are apparently
Choices: auto, esddsp, artsdsp, rplaydsp, none (taken from
/var/lib/dpkg/info/mozilla-browser.templates)

On a side note, mozilla-browser is dead upstream.  It's time to find a
new favorite browser.

As to why fuser hangs, I have no idea - strace will probably tell you
better than I can guess.  That sounds like a bug worth reporting.

Take care,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Shaw's Principle:  Build a system that  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | even a fool can use, and only a fool    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | will  want to use it.                   |