George Gallen on 2 Aug 2006 20:01:46 -0000

RE: [PLUG] bad group name...

Title: bad group name...
what is bizaar,

If I try to addgroup -g new# existing-non-known-group it says the group name is not unique
If I try to addgroup -g existing# unique-group-name it says the group ID is not unique

So it knows the groups exist and the GID exist, but I do a groups username I get:

[root@alpha /]# groups george
id: cannot find name for group ID 100
id: cannot find name for group ID 554
id: cannot find name for group ID 555
id: cannot find name for group ID 600

George

 -----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org [mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of George Gallen
Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 3:39 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] bad group name...

I setup the RH 8.0, then after verifing that all the entries that were in the fresh install were in my old /passwd /group files

I copied the passwd, passwd- , group, group-, gshadow and shadow and shadow- files from my old system.

All the usernames work, passwords came over fine. some of the group names however are showing up as bad group,
if I were to try to use chgrp on a file.

I've already rebooted, that didn't seem to fix anything,
I tried using vigr and makeing a small change, that didn't help

Is there any kind of group rebuilding tool?

This is posing a problem getting httpd to startup.

Or did a miss a file?

George Gallen
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Accounting/Data Division
ggallen@slackinc.com
ph:856.848.1000 Ext 220

SLACK Incorporated - Delivering the best in health care information and education worldwide.
http://www.slackinc.com