George Gallen on 3 Aug 2006 13:24:43 -0000

[PLUG] fyi, one of those upgrade pitfalls

Title: fyi, one of those upgrade pitfalls

Yesterday, I was trying to get our website (internal) back up after
the upgrade (reinstall) from RH 7.2 to 8.0. Apparantly RH changed
from apache 1.3 to httpd 2.0 on the 8.0, which also had a different
config format!!

After using the GUI front end to "initialize" the config file, I went in
and tuned it to what it should be, set all the directories, yada yada.

Restarted httpd, all look well.

Only no matter what, I couldn't get the cgi's to run. Permissions
were fine, I could run them manually, even as apache.

Even went out and bought the O'reilly book on apache (not a bad thing).

Finally, I realized the problem.....It wasn't apache. It wasn't the config file
It wasn't even permissions.

It was that god awful shebang heading of where PERL was located!!!
It moved from /usr/local/bin/perl to /usr/bin/perl. Apparantly apache
really uses that line to find where perl lives to run the cgi. Rather than
change all my cgi's for now, I just put in a link in /usr/local/bin to have
perl run as /usr/bin/perl.

I guess since both /usr/local/bin and /usr/bin are both in my execute paths
when I typed perl ... it found it.

moral of the story, if you can't get your cgi's to run and don't know why
check the shebang heading for correctness....

George Gallen
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Accounting/Data Division
ggallen@slackinc.com
ph:856.848.1000 Ext 220

SLACK Incorporated - Delivering the best in health care information and education worldwide.
http://www.slackinc.com