George Gallen on 8 Aug 2006 14:29:21 -0000

[PLUG] rsh/root

Title: rsh/root

I have two systems  (only connected to each other) so there is no security (well very low) risk
  for attack from outside the system...(and a pitbull gaurding the keyboard).

system 1 is a RH8.0 and system 2 is a FC 5

I'm trying to copy data from one to the other, keeping the dates intact.

I wanted to use a combo or tar and rsh

I set the hosts.equiv with each others IP's and names
I set the hosts.allow with each other IP's for in.rshd
I set a .rhosts in the /root with +

When I try to execute:

tar cf - ./* | rsh beta '(cd /tmp ; tar xfB -)'

I get a Permission Denied

It works for non-root transfers
I'm trying to get this work for root.

What am I missing?

I don't care if I have to enter a password, I just need to be able to tar over some directories

I'd use ftp, but there are thousands of small files, which tar handles so nicely.

(yes, I know the implications of .rhosts,  like I said, they are only connected to each other)

George Gallen
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Accounting/Data Division
ggallen@slackinc.com
ph:856.848.1000 Ext 220

SLACK Incorporated - Delivering the best in health care information and education worldwide.
http://www.slackinc.com