Toby DiPasquale on 3 Sep 2006 20:52:21 -0000

Re: [PLUG] linksys router mucks with dns

On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 04:24:07PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> The odd thing is that, now that the router is set up, my regular
> machine resolves routerlogin.net and www.routerlogin.net to the
> router.  But how can that be?  The router isn't my dns server.
>
> I'm curious, first, how the router is likely intercepting such
> queries, and, second, how to decide whether I can trust my router on
> other matters if it is willing to do such things as this.  (The second
> is probably unanswerable by mortals, but seems worth asking.)

If its a WRT54G* model, you can easily hack the firmware and remove this
"feature", if you so choose. And it would even have more real features you
might want (e.g. ssh into the router itself, real tc control, etc).

> I am on 192.168.0.7, where I designate myself as DNS:
>
>     jeff@astra:~ $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
>     search purple.com
>     nameserver 192.168.0.7
>     jeff@astra:~ $
>
> Querying DNS about routerlogin.net goes to root servers and comes back
> immediately with a private address!  (This is not what happens on a
> network without this router.)  So the router is not network neutral.
> This feels like a small bit of insidious evil on the part of linksys,
> since they don't document exactly when they plan not to pass my bits
> as I expect.  Am I being unreasonable?

Slightly, although I'd feel the same way. To me, its not about what
they've done, but what they would do in the future. They are already
hijacking a competitor's site to get that done in the first place (read
on).

core:~> whois routerlogin.net
[...]
Registrant:
   Netgear, Inc.
   4500 Great America Parkway
   Santa Clara, California 95054
   United States

   Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
   Domain Name: ROUTERLOGIN.NET
      Created on: 22-Jan-04
      Expires on: 22-Jan-14
      Last Updated on: 18-Jun-04

   Administrative Contact:
      Sallette, Al  al.sallette@netgear.com
      Netgear, Inc.
      4500 Great America Parkway
      Santa Clara, California 95054
      United States
      (408) 907-8000      Fax --

   Technical Contact:
      Sallette, Al  al.sallette@netgear.com
      Netgear, Inc.
      4500 Great America Parkway
      Santa Clara, California 95054
      United States
      (408) 907-8000      Fax --

   Domain servers in listed order:
      PARK17.SECURESERVER.NET
      PARK18.SECURESERVER.NET

core:~>

Netgear pays the bills and Linksys gets a free ride ;-)

Presumably, this domain was registered with this purpose in mind. When not
behind a router of this nature, the domain redirects to www.netgear.com.

core:~> dig routerlogin.net

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> routerlogin.net
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;routerlogin.net.               IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
routerlogin.net.        3600    IN      A       64.202.189.170

;; Query time: 77 msec
;; SERVER: 68.87.64.146#53(68.87.64.146)
;; WHEN: Sun Sep  3 16:44:53 2006
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 49

core:~>

--