M.Simons on 27 Sep 2006 22:08:40 -0000

[PLUG] CTCNet Planning Meeting Sep 28th (tomorrow)

It would probably be good for l*n*xers to plug into this to support and encourage OSS adoption and use, as well as to generally support the purposes of these orgs and efforts towards bridging the digital divide.

Please note that this was just a drive-by announcement, I do not regularly monitor the list.

From: Stan Pokras <pokras@ntronline.org>

What: CTCNet Planning Meeting
When: September 28th (Tomorrow)
Time: 3:00 PM
Where: Institute for the Study of Civic Values
       1218 Chestnut Street - Suite 702
       Phila PA 19107
       215-238-1434 (call for directions only)

Ajenda: What is happening in community technology in the Philadelphia Area?
        What should we be doing to further the goals of community tech centers?
        How can we all know what is available at centers throughout the region?

Dear Friends,

Our collaboration as a community of technology related programs has been on hold for a while.

Thanks to the meeting called a few weeks ago by Ed Schwartz, several of us who were involved in a presentation about the Wireless Philadelphia project came to the conclusion that we ought to resume holding regional meetings. Tomorrow's meeting will kick off a new season of planning for collaboration among community tech centers.

During this meeting I will be asking the group to consider a project I have conceived to create a regional Instructor Pool. The idea would be to create a program that would provide a resource for the whole Delaware Valley region which would be able to train, schedule, supervise, and pay instructors to serve at your center. They would teach topics you and your clients choose. And they would be selected for their ability to relate to your community members.

As I currently envision this project, the pool of instructors will be funded by soliciting grants from foundations and corporations. Centers desiring to use the instructor pool will send representatives to a steering committee which will determine how to allocate the resources generated. Steps towards creating this program include:
1. Survey the community tech centers, schools, and government agencies who might be interested in participating.
2. Organize a steering committee to oversee the development and administration of the pool.
3. Develop a and circulate a proposal complete with a budget, goals and outcomes, to likely foundations and corporations
4. If funding is forthcoming, turn over the operation of this project to a qualified nonprofit to hire staff and deliver the service. The steering committee would continue to provide oversight.
5. Program demographics and success reports would encourage additional funders to support the program. If well done, this program could conceivably serve 10,000 people each year.

Organizations participating in the planning process would be the first to be served by this service. If successful at fundraising, the program would provide free or low-cost instructors to teach at the centers.

Stan

--

Stanley R. Pokras, Executive Director Nonprofit Technology Resources (NTR)
Regional Coord, Community Technology Centers' Network (http://www.ctcnet.org/)
Chair, CTCNet of Delaware Valley, Regional Planning Committee (http://www.ctcnet-philly.org/)

                       Nonprofit Technology Resources
                           1524 Brandywine Street
                           Philadelphia PA  19130
                  215-564-6686 (day)      215-564-6642 (fax)
                           267-968-0407 (cell)
             Find our "Home Page" at http://NTRonline.org