Eric on 2 Oct 2006 02:44:50 -0000

[PLUG] RAID cards

After the recent discussion about RAID cards I opened a test computer
I have and examined it's RAID card in some detail.  Sadly, I'm not
sure what to look for or what I'm looking at so here goes:

Based on the discussion I gathered that there are three "types" of RAID
(not RAID 0, RAID 5, etc.  but more like "implementations".)

1. Software:  The kernel (either Linux or some other OS) handles all
the processing for the RAID.

2. Hardware - the easy way: It's "just" software RAID stored on the
card and read in by the BIOS on boot.  There may or may not be
buffering memory on the card but there is no processor on the card
and the processing is handled by the computer's CPU.

3. Hardware - the hard way:  The card contains the buffering memory
and processing to actually handle the I/O for the RAID array.

First, is that a fair assessment of the RAID card options?

Second, the card I have is a MAXTOR ATA133 RAID card.
(image: http://www.lucii.org/eric/RAID.jpg)  I'm building a samba
file server and I'd like "real" hardware RAID capability (like #3 above)
Does this card fit that description?

Third:  This will be, in essence, a fail-safe backup for data from my
other computers.  What level of RAID is recommended?  I'm thinking
of using RAID 1 with 2 Maxtor 160 GB EIDE 7200/8MB/ATA-133 drives.

Thanks,
Eric