Toby DiPasquale on 12 Oct 2006 19:19:52 -0000

Re: [PLUG] W2K3 question - mea culpa

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 06:33:13PM +0000, Carl Husa wrote:

> Anybody got an idea how to ...
>
> I have an Intel Pro 1000/XT adapter, running on a W2K3 box, which may become a Fedora server, that runs Wireshark.  The adapter sees only traffic directly to and from its own address.  I'm assuming the NIC isn't running in promiscuous mode.
>
> Is this configurable - and how?

Are you running Wireshark with admin privileges? If not, it won't be able
to set the NIC to promiscuous mode. As well, if your NIC is on a VLAN that
no other boxes share, you will also not see any other traffic.

--
Toby DiPasquale