Chad Vogelsong on 17 Oct 2006 23:02:06 -0000

Re: [PLUG] how to transfer gigabytes without tech support

Option #1:

Setup and sFTP server on your machine (I use vsftpd). He should only need to type a command, a password and another command to download it. Just hope that there are no cuts in service during the days it will take to transfer that amount of data over a Cable/DSL connection (slow upload speed usually).

He would just have to type a command like:
$ ftp username@server.ip.address
password:  the-password-you-give-him
get filename.tar.gz

Wait 1-3 days, depending on speed.

Option #2

Another way would be to give him an SSH account on your computer. Put the file in his home directory. Then it's just 1 command he has to type.

scp username@server.ip.address:~/filename.tar.gz ~/
password: the-password-you-give-him

Since you probably already have SSH installed on your computer, the 2nd one is probably easier. It's also more secure IMHO.

-Chad

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
I have 14 GB of data I want to give someone.  He's on MacOS X.  I
thought to do rsync via ssh, but talking him through certificates and
terminal things is becoming too painful.  Simple things fail that I
would see if I were there, but I'm not and his descriptions omit
little details that he has no way of knowing are critical.

Next thought, make it available for http.  So I tar it up.  But apache
refuses to serve a 14 GB tar archive, saying it's too big.  (Weirdly,
this causes a directory to disappear, too: directory foo/ is visible
until overly large foo.tar is present, then they both disappear from
the directory listing that apache generates!)

Any thoughts on how to do this as simply as possible?