sean finney on 19 Oct 2006 17:40:33 -0000

Re: [PLUG] vmplayer and browser

hi mark,

On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 11:41 -0400, Mark Baker wrote:

> I need to implement a virtual server project before the end of the
> year running windows and a linux distro on a dell and wanted to see if
> any one had some advice on which products that are out there are most
> solid.  I have been looking at the xensource project and the Vmware
> server.

i think it depends on your needs.  if the virtual server project is
running one desktop os within another, you'll probably want to go with
vmware-player, since it's more lightweight and oriented towards
"desktop" use from my experience.

if you want something more "server" oriented, i think vmware-server is a
bit easier to get working out of the box.  also, unless you have
hardware compatible with paravirtualization, you can't run windows from
xen.

*but*, from everyone i've heard, xen is cooler, has more features[1], is
generally more l33t.  so if you have compatible hardware/needs, have a
little extra time, that might be the route for you.

	sean

[1] for example, xen supports live migration of vm's from host to host
with like <500ms downtime.  you can do this in vmware but you have to
pay for their "enterprise" package iirc.