Aaron Mulder on 19 Oct 2006 18:21:51 -0000

Re: [PLUG] vmplayer and browser

We use VMware Server on a SuSE 10 host and it works quite well.  I can
come up with a few issues, but they're not showstoppers:

- If you ssh to the machine over the Internet and the run the full
VMware+Guest OS GUI via X forwarding, it's horribly slow.  There is a
remote admin tool that may be better, and connections on the same LAN
are fine (though Mac clients need to ssh -Y).

- The guest OS seems a bit more vulnerable to unexpected power
outages than a native OS -- I assume because data can be "in cache"
both in the host and guest OS's.  (One Windows guest refused to boot
after such a problem.)  We ended up with a script that suspends,
copies, and resumes each VM each night.

- With a number of VMs running (including 2 running databases), the
disk access seems to be a limiting factor (and a guest doesn't get the
same disk performance as it would from a native install on the same
hardware).  I would be wary of putting a production or high-load DB in
a VM.

- For Opteron machines, you may or may not be able to run 64-bit
Guest VMs depending on the chip revision.  No idea how it works for
Intel.  You can run a 64-bit host in any case and we haven't had
trouble using more than 4 GB total across all the guests.

- Note that every time your kernel changes (e.g. due to a kernel
security update) on either the host or the guest, you'll have to run a
script on that OS to rebuild various VMware modules.

I've noticed that VMware Server now lets you select 1 or 2 virtual
CPUs for each VM, but I haven't tried setting any guests to 2 yet.

Thanks,
    Aaron