gabriel rosenkoetter on 19 Oct 2006 21:09:59 -0000

Re: [PLUG] 'ifconfig eth0 down' on mouse/kbd being idle

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 10:58:31AM -0700, jadoba@jadoba.net wrote:
> I'd like to create a shell script that will execute 'ifconfig eth0 down'
> when both the mouse and keyboard have been idle (iow, no input) for a
> set amount of time. I would also like for the same script to bring eth0
> back up when a key is pressed or the mouse is moved.

The "run a cron job once a minute" techniques seem like a huge waste
of resources to me.

You want to be hooking into something that's already polling for
human I/O events (if this were NetBSD, I'd say "wscons") and
registering (and then renewing later) a timer on them which, if
expired takes action.

Maybe the Linux distribution involved makes use of something like
SCIM:

  http://www.scim-im.org/

which looks like it probably provides some hooks for monitoring
keydown/keyup mousedown/mouseup.

Another decent place to look is the XScreenSaver source; checking
the same places it does for I/O information should work, and you
could run the process that checks and downs/ups the interface in the
same way (automatically forking and sitting in the background till
an exit request is passed to it later).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net