bergman on 25 Oct 2006 17:07:46 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Help with NFS mounting and $HOME directories

In the message dated: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:50:44 EDT,
The pithy ruminations from Daniel.G.Roberts@sanofi-aventis.com on
<[PLUG] Help with NFS mounting and $HOME directories> were:
=> Hello All
=>
=> I have a new NAS NetApp box on which I will be installing all my user home directories.
=> Because of backup limitations, the NAS partitions that will be exported to my system (kayak) wil

Hmmm...is your system really an HP "kayak" class server?

Since you give no information about the server type, NFS and/or automount
versions, you're making it more difficult to debug.

=> l be 2 TB in size each.
=> Problem is that I have about 20 users who have close to 6 TB of data amongst them.
=> Therefore what I would like to do is spread the users across the three different partitions on t
=> he NAS back end but MOUNT them all under /home/<username> on the front end server kayak.

No problem.

=>
=> Issue is I can't figure out how to so this via indirect automounter maps or if this is even the
=> best method!

Yes, automount (which I'm not fond of) is probably the best method.

=>
=> So on the NAS end (NAS123) I would export these three file systems over to kayak ie:
=>
=> /user1  kayak(rw,async,no_root_squash)
=> /user2  kayak(rw,async,no_root_squash)
=> /user3  kayak(rw,async,no_root_squash)

Looks good.

=>
=> and for example I have the following home directories located on each "slice" of the NAS123 syst
=> em
=> /user1/dan		1TB Of data
=> /user2/tom		500GB of Data
=> /user3/bob		500GB of Data
=>
=>
=> On the client ie server side I want to mount dan, tom or bob onto the /home of kayak
=>
=> So I have tried in my /etc/auto.master
=> #Indirect MAP
=> #Mount Point    MAP Name        Mount Options
=> home         /etc/auto.home  -intr,nosuid

OK.

=>
=>
=> my /etc/auto.home
=> home    -rw,intr nas123:/user1
=> home    -rw,intr nas123:/user2
=> home    -rw,intr nas123:/user3
=>

There's the problem... You're mounting nas123:/user1 as /home/home/$user (preventing other
mounts to the /home/home mount point).

What you want is:

	------------- /etc/auto.home -------------
	user1	-rw,intr	nas123:/user1
	user2	-rw,intr	nas123:/user2

=>
=>
=> and when I start up the automounter what I end up with on kayak is
=>
=> /home/home/dan mounted and I can never get to tom's or bob's $HOME directory!
   ^^^^^^^^^^

=> I am not surprised that I can't get to tom's or bob's stuff as from the system perspective it ha
=> s met the obligation to mount the "home" directory using automouter..

Um, it's not precisely an automount issue, but the fact that /home/home is
already mounted, and cannot have another exported filesystem from the NAS
mounted there.

=>
=> Can anyone please give me hints on how to mount my user directories as:
=> /home/dan, /home/tom and etc?!
=> Thanks!
=>
=>
=> Dan
=>

-----
Mark Bergman    Biker, Rock Climber, Unix mechanic, IATSE #1 Stagehand

http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=bergman%40merctech.com

I want a newsgroup with a infinite S/N ratio! Now taking CFV on:
rec.motorcycles.stagehands.pet-bird-owners.pinballers.unix-supporters
15+ So Far--Want to join? Check out: http://www.panix.com/~bergman