Will Dyson on 30 Oct 2006 05:30:13 -0000

Re: [PLUG] After dist_upgrade, kubuntu system won't boot

On 10/29/06, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:
On Sunday 29 October 2006 16:54, sean finney wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 14:39 -0500, Will Dyson wrote:
> > I suggest you try running 'hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes' for a much
> > more useful output.

Is this non-daemonized version of hal supposed to run in an interminable loop
until I kill it?

Yep, that is what it is supposed to do (at least when hald is working correctly). Passing --daemon=no turns it from a background process into a foreground one, but does not change the essential "runs until stopped" daemon nature of the program.

> +1 to this suggestion.  also, if you could attach the output in a
> seperate file, it'd be helpful so i don't have to manually fix up
> line-wrapping and various charset escape sequences from the mail.

I ran "sudo strace hald --daemon=no > hald.strace" but hald.strace seems to be
a zero byte file.

Strace prints its output to stderr, and the bare '>' symbol redirects the program's stdout filehandle. Try this:

'sudo strace hald --daemon=no  2> hald.strace'

This redirects the program's filehandle #2 (which is always stderr)
instead of the default stdout.

--
Will Dyson