Kevin Brosius on 11 Nov 2006 16:22:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Distance to my local CO

On 2006-11-09 02:06, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 11:48:15PM -0500, TuskenTower wrote:
> >  I've talked with both Verizon and Cavalier and they have told me
> > that I am 17700ft from my local CO.  DSL reports says that I am 4480ft
> > from my local CO.  The DSL reports site claims that Covad has a CO
> > closer to me, http://www.dslreports.com/coinfo/clli/KGPRPAKP.  If this
> > is true, then how can I use the Covad CO?  Am I forced to go through
> > them only or can I find another service provider like Speakeasy to run
> > through the Covad office?
>
> With DSL service, there exist three logical entities: the line
> provider, the DSL provider, and the ISP. Around here, you're stuck
> with Verizon as the line provider (even if you get your phone
> service from cavtel it's still V's lines). There are at most a
> couple of options for the DSL provider (the people who terminate the
> other end of your "physical" phone line in a building Verizon owns,
> but possibly in a rack that someone else has a long-term lease on);
> the only ones I know of are Verizon and Covad, but there may be
> others (I don't think that Cavalier actually acts as a DSL provider,
> rather just as an ISP for Verizon-provided DSL service, but I'm
> speaking out of mostly-ignorance there). There are very many options

That seems to depend on location.  Some previous discussions on this
list said that Cavalier does use Verizon DSL in some areas.  However,
their initial offerings were RADSL, a different flavor of DSL than
Verizon/Covad have rolled out.  I have no idea how you can tell which
the offer...

(snip)

> On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 08:58:43AM -0500, Eric Hidle wrote:
> > Heh, I had a terrible experience with SpeakEasy.
>
> Care to expand on that?
>
> My experience is that all negative experiences with Speakeasy (or
> with any Covad reseller, for that matter) in the Philadelphia area
> are actually problems with Verizon.

I've also had Speakeasy for a number of years now.  If you want someone
with a user friendly Terms of Service, which allows connection sharing
(outside your house) and server hosting, they are a decent way to go.

Having said that, I'm not all that impressed with their customer
service.  They are great on the phone, and when my DSL went down last,
the phone wait times were not bad at all.  However, my experience is
that they have rather poor followup.  As Gabe says, that may be related
to Verizon/Covad issues only.

I has my DSL go down about a month ago.  Modem would sync but I could
not pass traffic.  It took a week to restore.  The Speakeasy reps were
very helpful, but when a Covad change had to be made, they would tell me
the change would take 4 or 12 hours, depending on the adjustment.  After
that time period, nothing would happen unless I called and asked for
status.  What should have taken a couple days was about a week, as I
waited an extra day a couple times during the process rather than
hounding Speakeasy.  My mistake, I guess...

I don't recommend using the online trouble ticket system to enter any
more critical problems.  My experience is that those take 24-48 hrs to
get addressed.  I have not submitted on in several months though.  Their
staffing levels seem to be adjusted over the several years I've had
them, and they go through phases of being very good vs. just moderate.

I was hoping that Speakeasy would be a FIOS internet reseller for a
while, however my recent experiences with them have only been average,
so I am considering moving to Verizon for FIOS service.

--
Kevin