Jeff Abrahamson on 15 Dec 2006 16:56:38 -0000

Re: [PLUG] interesting solution to spam overload

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 08:46:44AM -0500, Austin Murphy wrote:
> Does anyone have effective spam filtering and training done the
> "UNIX Way" (small tools working together)?  It's easy enough to
> stick a mail filter in front of your inbox, but it's not trivial to
> setup a good ruleset or keep it up to date.

Something does some envelope filtering before my machine, but I find
that bogofilter is catching 200 emails per day as spam (essentially
zero false positives) and misses 2-5 spams per day.  I'm ok with that.

Part of my morning routine (er, script), in addition to popping up
xkcd, phd comics, dilbert, the weather, some news sites, etc., runs
"xterm -e mutt -f bogofilter-...", the cull of the past day or so of
putative spam, which I scan and reality check.  Doing it once a day
takes less than a minute, which proves manageable and allows me to say
"essentially zero false positives."

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://jeff.purple.com/>          +1 215/837-2287