Art Alexion on 10 Jan 2007 18:28:43 -0000

Re: [PLUG] where do dey go?

On Saturday 06 January 2007 19:07, jeff wrote:
> Apparently a USB hd `became unattached' yesterday. I copied some files
> to it.  When I fired up today, it was still unattached, but the files
> appeared at the mount point. When I got it reattached, POOF, they were
> gone.
>
> Does this mean that they got copied to /mount/dir instead of /dev/sda1?

Yes

>   Where, physically, is /mount/dir when it's not attached to /dev/sda1?

on whatever partition /mount is.  Mount points are real directories, capable
of holding files themselves.  Once you mount something on them, the mounted
file system is accessable instead of the file system local to the mount
point. (I'm not sure I am using the right terminology, but I hope I am
getting the point across.)  If you umount /dev/sda1, the files will still be
there.  You can move them to ~, then mount /dev/sda1, and then move them to
where you originally wanted to put them.

> If a man says something without his wife hearing it, is he still wrong?

Potentially.  If her sister tells her he said it.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @