Mark Dominus on 23 Jan 2007 18:50:12 -0000

Re: [PLUG] ctime

> OK, I see that it isn't quick and easy.  heh
>
> We are looking to change the creation time.  From what I understand,
> ctime is the closest thing to creation time.

ctime is nothing whatsoever like the creation time.  For one thing, it
changes whenever you write to the file.

The ctime is there so that the backup system can see when inodes have
changed, which tells it whether to include the file in an incremental
backup.  If you screw with it, you will screw up your incremental
backups.

Moral of the story: you were fortunate that Unix did not provide an
easy way to change it, since you had no business tampering with
it in the first place.