Matthew Rosewarne on 26 Jan 2007 02:46:41 -0000

Re: [PLUG] large file transfer

On Thursday 25 January 2007 18:46, jeff wrote:
> FTPing isn't that big a deal.

Well, I would definitely recommend against FTP in modern times.  FTP just
wasn't meant to be used in an environment where people aren't playing nice.
The only thing FTP should be used for nowadays is handing out files
anonymously, since the authentication is a joke.  If any one of the machines
on any of the networks someone logs in from has been 0wN3d, you can be sure
that they're sniffing for plaintext passwords.  If these files are even
remotely important (ie, you don't want people doing nasty things to them), it
would be an astonishingly poor idea to trust it to any kind of writeable FTP.
Maybe if you had FTP+SSL that would work, but most clients (and I believe
this includes IE) do not support it.  What I personally would really like
would be an easy-to-use standalone webdav server, sort of like a DAV version
of webfsd, but until that comes, SFTP is still the best option for personal
use.

If you're going to set up a server anyway, definitely use webdav+SSL.  It's
secure and can be accessed from just about any web browser, even IE.  Check
out apache_mod_dav or lighttpd_mod_dav, depending on your preference.