Chad Vogelsong on 5 Feb 2007 21:59:41 -0000

Re: [PLUG] CRM Open Source

Eric,

Compiere is free and it does require an Oracle DB.  Oracle may not be free (freedom), but it can be free of cost.  Compiere has a link here:  http://www.compiere.org/support/install/installOracle.html

You can download the 10g Express Edition (usually used for prototyping).  It can be used as the full fledged back end though at no cost.  If you pay for Compiere support, it includes an Oracle license anyway.

Although ]Project Open[ does run on AOL server, if you use a dedicated machine or virtual machine, it has an easy install script so that the server will be dedicated.

Chad

Eric wrote:
I've been following the CRM discussion with interest since I, too, have
been looking for an open source usable CRM system.

Compiere is free as you say but I notice the first requirement is an
installation of Oracle.  That's out of my price range.  ]Project-Open[
appears to be programmed in TCL and runs on the AOL server.  I'm
curious if this is an outgrowth of the old ArsDigita project?
Nevertheless, I'm not ready to install another web server just yet :-)

Vtiger appears REAL interesting... and it's LAMP.  I'm installing
it this morning to see what it's like.

Thanks for the information!

Eric

Chad Vogelsong wrote:

I checked out this software.
http://www.infoathand.com

Yes, it is built on SugarCRM, but it's not 100% open source either.  In
order to use it, you have to pay for it.

The best one (so I've heard) if you want a 100% open source and free
(beer & freedom), is Compiere.  You don't have to pay a dime unless you
want support.  I think this is the best of both worlds.  The business
can make money and DIY'ers are not forced to pay if they don't need any
support.
http://www.compiere.org

There is also ]Project-Open[ .  I've heard good things about these
guys.  If I were doing an evaluation for a SMB CRM solution (< 300
employees), I would include these guys as well.
http://www.project-open.org/

Another one that is not so well known, but should be looked at as well
is vtiger.
http://www.vtiger.com

-Chad

W. Chris Shank wrote:

not true. the open source version is limited. The professional version
introduces more features, particularly quoting and products. This ends
up being a critical piece for sales. You can track opportunities and
forecasting, but when your ready to get the sale - you'll need to use
another system. Reporting is another component you'll miss.

Checkout info@hand. Built on SugarCRM but with missing pieces. It can
completely manage your business.