Stephen Gran on 8 Feb 2007 23:41:28 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Mythtv

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 04:36:14PM -0500, David Colon said:
> I asked for feedback on Mythtv during last night's meeting but no one
> present had any experience.  I was encouraged to post to the list.
>
> That brings me here.  I've been following Mythtv for a while now but
> never bought all of the pieces to the puzzle to build my own system.
> I'm finally ready to begin.  I'd like to start off with one high
> definition front end and a back end with a large amount of disk space.

That is exactly what I use.

> For the back end, I'm thinking of building a lower end system that can
> do SATA RAID.  I'd load it up with a bunch of 500 gig SATA drives and
> setup a RAID 5 array to give me some redundancy in the event of a disk
> failure.
>
> Does anyone have any other suggestions or recommendations for setting
> up a high def front end?  It should have a high "WAF" factor.

I'm not sure what WAF is, but I use a pentiumM on a micro atx board in
a silverstone case[0].  Very nice looking, and very quiet.  You can go
completely diskless in the front end machine, although I haven't yet.

[0] http://www.silverstonetek.com/
|  Stephen Gran                  | I was in Vegas last week. I was at the  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | roulette table, having a lengthy        |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | argument about what I considered an Odd |
|                                | number.   -- Steven Wright              |