Doug Crompton on 26 Feb 2007 01:45:19 -0000

Re: [PLUG] BitTorrant and routers - and Comcast

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007, Stewart B Lone wrote:

> Art Alexion wrote:
> > On Sunday 25 February 2007 15:48, schwepes@netaxs.com wrote:
> >
> >>  As a previous post says,
> >> HDTV will supplant the analog no matter.  Whereas when color supplanted
> >> black and white, the suppliers were required to provide a usuable signal
> >> to the televisions already out there, currently, no such provision is
> >> required.

In a way this is good. Color NTSC was always a kludge. In the beginning
the sets were horrendous. I can remember as a kid the neighbor up the
street had one, The repeair truck was always there. Later IC technology
made it better but the whole technique of subcarier and phasing is tricky
and subject to problems.

The digital conversion is totally new and thus not burdened by the past
technology. It is also upgradable. As new compression techniques etc. come
out they can be used without changing the hardware.

Stereo FM is the same. A kludge added on to the original Mono FM. The
current digital or HD radio does maintain that kludge however and works
around it.

Doug