gyoza on 26 Feb 2007 12:48:32 -0000

[PLUG] FSB and Memory Speed

Could a mismatch in FSB and memory speed degrade performance more than matching speeds at a lower setting? In other words, is 166/166 better than 200/166?

I have an CPU running at 2.1GHz. 200MHz FSB x 10.5. I manually set the RAM to 166MHz because one module can't handle 200MHz (by the specs).

I originally tried running the CPU at 166MHz FSB, but my mobo didn't do 166x13. It automatically chose 166x10.5 and there is no way to adjust the multiplier in the BIOS. In this case the CPU loses about 350MHz in clock speed, but the FSB matches the memory speed.

The CPU is an Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton).