Stephen Gran on 17 Mar 2007 13:40:50 -0000

Re: [PLUG] making windows FAT32 partition writable to all users

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 11:39:59PM -0400, Greg Helledy said:
> I run into this on every system and always forget the fix.
> I have kanotix installed dual-boot with Win98.  In the default install,
> users are unable to write to the windows partition.  Here is fstab.  The
> windows partition is /dev/hda1.  <options> for /windows was formerly
> "defaults", I changed it to "rw" and got nowhere:

> /dev/sda1       /media/usbkey   vfat    defaults,user,noauto    0       0

> root@itchy:/# chgrp staff windows
> chgrp: changing group of `windows': Operation not permitted

VFAT doesn't have any concept of user and group permissions, so that
won't work.  You need to set it as a mount option, so the kernel can
munge it for you.

If you look at the manpage for mount (8), it lists all the options for
mounting a vfat filesystem.  It looks to me like you want uid= and gid=
and maybe umask=.

The syntax would be
/dev/sda1       /media/usbkey   vfat    uid=123,gid=123,umask=002,user,noauto    0 0

Take care,
|  Stephen Gran                  | <moshez> ok, I will not marry Jo-Con-   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | El's cow.                               |