Alex Launi on 21 Mar 2007 15:03:05 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Educational Languages

Everyone here has good ideas, but if they're high school students teaching them Java in the AP recommended BlueJ Environment/compiler is probably most beneficial for them. Give them the opportunity to take the AP CS exam (which is easy as pie) and get some college credit. I was very pissed that the AP language was such a waste of a language, but in retrospect java is a very good starting language since it handles memory for you and is strongly typed. Really for these HS students java will do them the most good, it will introduce them to the concepts of OOP and control structures as well as give them the opportunity to take the AP exam. As far as books go - you will have no problem finding books for them on java and specifically on what the AP board thinks are the most important elements. --Alex Launi