jadoba on 24 Mar 2007 00:47:46 -0000

[PLUG] RE: plug Digest, Vol 28, Issue 34

I just finished installing and testing a VMware image with two nics on
the host bridged to two virtual nics in the guest. I am using vmware
server (newest version). the host is debian etch and the guest is
sarge.

The host's eth0 is hooked into my d-link router (only temporarily) which
is connected to the Internet. eth1 is hooked into a switch, which also
has another machine connected to it. eth0 on the host is bridged to
/dev/vmnet0 and eth1 is bridged to /dev/vmnet2 (i did this when I ran
vmware-config.pl after installing vmware server)

Before installing sarge, I opened up Virtual Machine Settings in vmware
server and set "Ethernet 1" to custom, pointed it to /dev/vmnet0 and
set "Ethernet 2" to custom, pointing it to /dev/vmnet2

After installing sarge, editing /etc/network/interfaces to my liking and
running an appropriate iptables shell script, the virtual machine is now
a NAT router. I am successfully sending this message from the other
machine hooked into eth1 through the switch. In my virtual machine's
.vmx I see these four lines:

Ethernet0.connectionType = "custom"
Ethernet0.vmnet = "/dev/vmnet0"
Ethernet1.connectionType = "custom"
Ethernet1.vmnet = "/dev/vmnet2"

Also, in case you're wondering, I plan on plugging eth0 directly into my
cable modem and setting this up as a router appliance.

HTH (if not, my guess is you probably have a routing issue)

-jim