Isaac Bennetch on 12 Apr 2007 02:09:13 -0000

[PLUG] Debian update errors, untrusted sources, GPG missing keys

  • From: "Isaac Bennetch" <bennetch@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: [PLUG] Debian update errors, untrusted sources, GPG missing keys
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 22:09:09 -0400
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Greetings, I'm having some trouble with my Debian unstable box. This
has been going on for some time, it's not directly related to the
recent release of etch as the stable (4.0) version.

When in aptitude, if I "update" I get:
GPG error: http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US Release: The
following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is
not available: NO_PUBKEY F1D53D8C4F368D5D

When I view my list of pending updates, I get the U in the status
column indicating some packages are from untrusted sources, along with
a few other dire warnings indicating the same. Additionally, it seems
to me that if I wait several days, the packages are suddenly okay;
I've got a few ideas about that but don't want to mislead anyone's
troubleshooting if I'm wrong.

I'm pretty much at a loss as to what to do or where to look, Google
turned up a few hints which didn't help out. I have the packages
debian-archive-keyring and debian-keyring installed but don't know if
I was supposed to run the .gpg file it provides through GPG (or even
how to do so) or if that happened automatically when I installed it.
Any advice?

Thanks!