lists . plug on 15 Apr 2007 15:51:08 -0000

[PLUG] quick and easy distro for virtual machine

Hello the list,

Long time lurker, occasional poster here, but I have a question I think
you all might be able to help with.

In a past life I was a linux sysadmin, but that was some time ago and at
the minute I'm Windows-only. I'm starting a personal project, though,
that requires a unix-ish environment; specifically, playing with Swarm
(www.swarm.org). I'm specifically interested in the software, though,
and I only need the environment to run the software. My current life
configuration doesn't allow that much time to mess around with the OS.
So I'm considering setting up Parallels (www.parallels.com) on my
Windows box, which has a dual-core Intel CPU and 2GB of RAM, so
shouldn't really be resource-constrained.

Now for my question: I'm looking for a distro that will be relatively
painless to set up on this VM. Distro technology has moved on a lot
since I was a sysadmin and I don't know anymore how the various distros
compare as far as ease of configuration is concerned. So I solicit the
list for recommendations or advice.

Thanks very much.

Mike