Matthew Rosewarne on 16 Apr 2007 23:40:06 -0000

Re: [PLUG] quick and easy distro for virtual machine

On Sunday 15 April 2007 11:51, wrote:
>I'm starting a personal project, though,
> that requires a unix-ish environment; specifically, playing with Swarm
> (

Why not just download the windows release?

It's based on cygwin, which is a UNIX-like environment for Windows.

> So I'm considering setting up Parallels ( on my
> Windows box, which has a dual-core Intel CPU and 2GB of RAM, so
> shouldn't really be resource-constrained.

If you can't run the cygwin-based release, try the Free (GPL) QEMU VM
instead of Parallels or VMWare.  Get the all-in-one installer (with GUI)

if you don't mind the less-than-straightforward install process, It might
be better not to use a VM at all and use CoLinux instead.  CoLinux is a
linux kernel modified to run directly atop Windows and may give you
better results.

> Now for my question: I'm looking for a distro that will be relatively
> painless to set up on this VM. Distro technology has moved on a lot
> since I was a sysadmin and I don't know anymore how the various distros
> compare as far as ease of configuration is concerned. So I solicit the
> list for recommendations or advice.
> Thanks very much.

I'd strongly recommend using Debian, as it can provide you with only the
bare minimum you need, doesn't require tinkering to get a working system,
and is exceedingly robust.