Mike Leone on 30 Apr 2007 14:23:53 -0000

[PLUG] Pinning certain packages in Debian testing ...

Hey all

I have a Linux mail server screening my Exchange server; it's running Debian
testing. I want to hold the postfix packages at their current versions (the
newer versions now in testing require a later kernel, and won't run on my 2.4
kernel). So I want to keep these, as they are:

ii  postfix                          2.3.8-2+b1
ii  postfix-ldap                     2.3.8-2+b1
ii  postfix-pcre                     2.3.8-2+b1

And not let them get upgraded to 2.40.

My sources.list:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

Would I do this:

echo -e "postfix hold\ postfix-pcre hold\ postfix-ldap hold" | dpkg --set-selections

Will this be enough so that my postfix installation will not be touched,the
next time I do a "apt-get upgrade", or do I need to do a "pin" of all 3
packages in apt.preferences?

Thanks