jazzman on 1 May 2007 04:26:01 -0000

[PLUG] V4L Maximum video devices?

Is anyone familiar with V4l stuff?

You may recall I was tinkering around with various cameras and such. Well
I managed to get my hands on a few (3 to be exact) Quickcam Express
cameras. THere is a quickcam driver (QC-USB) and that works great. The
original configuration I had was FC5 with 2 of the cameras. Everything
worked great. The moment I plugged a 3rd camera in one of the first 2
stopped working (it always seems to be /dev/video1). Any attempts to use
that camera hang the process calling the driver to the point where I can't
even rmmod the quickcam driver. I kill the processes opening the driver,
but the driver still has references to it. The only way to clear it up
appears to be to reboot.

So it appears there is a 2 camera limit somewhere (intentional or not).
Does anyone have any insights as to whether this is a kernel limitation or
a driver limitation? I don't have any other cameras that really work with
Linux (I don't think... this brings up some interesting questions actually
about which cameras I have work... but that's tinkering for another day).

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for the insight,

Marc