Doug Crompton on 23 May 2007 04:48:11 -0000

[PLUG] Mother board/ Linux OS suggestions

I need to update my main server that has been running faithfully for
years. I am just afraid that one of these days it is going to fail and I
will be up a creek.

The current system is a P3-866, SUSE 7.3, non raid - 1730 bogomips. It
runs sendmail, bind, apache, asterisk, to name a few and has been a solid
system but it is time for an upgrade.

I just got an Intel D975XBX2 motherboard with 6600 core 2 duo, mirrored
raid and Vista premium and it really rocks. With the core 2 duo processor
it also runs much cooler and comsumes less power than the old P4.

I was thinking of getting another one of these MB'sfor my new Linux
system, although I could certainly get by with a lower speed (and less
costly) core 2 duo processor.

I was also looking at Kubuntu 7.04 as the OS. I have not followed the
Linux distributions lately, so I am not sure if this is a good choice. I
honestly have never run my current system in anything other than command
line mode! I am comfortable not using a windowing system and I have no
problem with continuing doing that so a linux flavor that would support
dmraid, the core 2 duo (I guess this is an smp kernel?) and no graphics
would be fine.

I am use to the SUSE 7.3 file structure but I don't expect I would find
anything much like that now. I really just want a late, stable linux that
has a broad SW base. It is going to be hard enough to switch all this
over. That is why I want to get it going BEFORE I have a failure.

Any thought, suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks, Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *